Friday, February 3, 2012

The Creepy House

I have been dying to tell you this story - so last weekend we went away again and decided to spend a night down near St Andrews (which is amazing but I will tell you more about that tomorrow) So we googled trip advisor, picked a big old manor house and booked a night. I have to admit, driving up to the house at dusk i was more than impressed, I was really really excited.


We parked the car .... gathered our belongings and made our way into the rather large foyer .... and waited, and waited and then we waited a while more until a lovely little Scottish lady bustled in with a key and walked us to our room. This is where the creepy start, we asked her how she knew who we are because she didn't ask our name before taking us to our room ... she replied that we were the only ones staying in the house that night. That's right, we were the only visitors in this 50 something room manor house out in the middle of nowhere. Straight away Ben joked about how in all the horror movies he had seen it was always a young couple stay in a house alone.



The room itself was enormous and quite amazing, the ceilings were 2 storeys high, the windows looked out over the gardens but the bathroom was down the hall. That's right, that meant walking down an old cold hallway to use the bathroom. We didn't think much of it because we were the only people staying but still ... this is something a little bit different.

The second little bit of creepy was when laying on the bed I felt ... watched. Now I am not in the least a nervous person but looking around I noticed all the pictures in the room seemed to stare at the bed. Think I am just slightly sensitive .... have a look at this picture of a small girl. Look at her eyes .... creepy.


Then it just got weirder, walking down the stairs there was a guy .... flesh and blood I'm sure standing in the hall at the bottom step, Ben realised he had forgotten a pen and ran back up the stairs to our room while I finished walking down the stairs to wait at the bottom. I said hi and smiled as I walked past but he didn't even look at me .... just kept staring off into the distance like I wasn't there. Ben did the same but still no joy, this guy did not even register that we were there.




While I was waiting I actually had a look around, there was a piano full of hats, under the stairs there were old prams filled with dolls with no eyes ..... At the top of the stairs was an old fashioned wheel chair, babies cribs sitting in a hallway.





Everything was weird and obscure and although the house was beautiful it appears as if nothing had ever been thrown out, a perfect example of this was a row of old coffee cups lined an old bureau. Really .... coffee cups.

Now totally and completely freaked out we grabbed the car keys and headed for the closest town hiding in the tiny little bar there joking with the locals until we were to tired to even worry about the house. Although we did brave the house I am more than happy to admit that a huge weight seemed to lift off my shoulders as we drove away the next day.


It was certainly an interested experience but I cant say a completely enjoyable one. Also, I am sure looking at the pictures you are thinking to yourself, it doesn't look so bad. Our lovely camera seems to lighten pictures up beautifully but the picture below shows just how dark the whole house was.....

1 comment:

Natasha said...

Wow what an unusual experience and a great true life spooky story, just imagining been the only one staying there gave me the chills.